1698 Canary Dr, Sunnyvale
Tel: (+1) 949 298 0698 - USA
Tel: (+1) 562 472 1580 - USA
Tel: (+44) 2033718739 - UK
1. In exercise of the powers conferred by His Majesty's Government, Nepal Mountaineering Association has made the following rules to be observed for the climbing of the peaks of Nepal Himalaya Appendix "1".
2. These rules will come into force at once.
3. Definition: - Where applicable definitions for these rules will be the same as those for His Majesty's Government Mountaineering Expedition Regulations 1979 and its first Amendment 1984.
4. Permission :-
(i) Any person or Mountaineering team desirous of climbing the peak listed in Appendix "1" must receive permission from Nepal Mountaineering Association. Application to climb the peak must be made in the form as prescribed in Appendix "2"
(ii) Permission to climb the peaks will be granted for a period of one month only.
(iii) Permission may be extended, if necessary, for another period of two weeks.
(iv) The period of permission granted relates to time spent for climbing above the base camp. The trek to and from the base camp is not included.
(v) Application for climbing permit may be made at any time by the concerned Mountaineering team. Permit will be granted on a first come first serve basis.
(vi) Each climbing party will be given a permit as prescribed. The right to give permission to another party for climbing the same peak during the same period is reserved by Nepal Mountaineering Association.
(vii) Nepal Mountaineering Association will recommend to Immigration Office of His Majesty's Government for obtaining trekking permit of the area to the team Members. top
5. Payment of Fee : (Effective from January 1,2001)
A climbing fee for 18 NMA Peaks mentioned in Appendix "1" will be charged as follows:
The permit is valid for the period of one month only. The maximum number of person in a group will be 12 pax.
* * For extending the permission, an additional 25% charge of the total amount of the initial fee will be made for each extra week.
* * The leader or climbing member of the team must collect the permit in person from Nepal Mountaineering Association.
6. Refund :- In the event of cancellation of the permission by NMA or the failure of the expedition to materialize due to some others reason, the fees already paid will not be refunded.
7. Every individual or party granted a climbing permit should be accompanied by a Sirdar/Guide, who must be registered with NMA.
Functions and Duties of the Sirdar/Guide:
a) To Assist the climbing party with recruitment of porters and other staff, control of porters, local purchase of food, etc. and to solve any problem that may arise to the best of his ability.
b) To report to Nepal Mountaineering Association in case the party spends more than the prescribed time limit in the Mountain.
c) To ensure that the climbers comply with the terms of their permit.
d) To ensure that the climbers, (trekkers) follow the specified route.
e) To ensure proper disposal of waste materials.
f) To report to NMA any infringement of the climbing rules.
g) To report any serious incidents to the nearest police post. The Sirdar/Guide shall be employed from the day the climbing party begins the trek until the trek is finished.
The Sirdar/Guide will be providesd with the following facilities:
I) Minimum daily allowance to be paid as per the rules of His Majesty's Government, Ministry of Tourism, and Civil Aviation.
2) Food and tent accommodation.
3) Climbing equipment and necessary clothing if required to go above base camp.
8. Insurance :- All employees doing above base camp must be insured for personal accident to the value of Rs. 200,000/-
9. Nomination of Representative in Kathmandu :- Each party granted climbing permit will nominate representative in Kathmandu to act as liaison between NMA and the climbing party. The representative should be an organization registered with NMA. The nominated representative will be responsible for making necessary arrangements for the climbing party in case of accidents or any other unforeseen circumstances.
10. Submission of report : - On the conclusion of the climb and on return to Kathmandu the party will submit a report to NMA
11. Power to cancel the permit :- NMA may cancel or withdraw the climbing permit any time with or without showing any particular reason.
12. Non-compliance of the regulation: - Where any trekking party acts in contravention to the climbing permit or indulges in acts of unsocial or outrageous behavior contrary to the customs and culture of the people of Nepal, NMA may recommend to the HMG to take necessary measures in accordance with the article 37 of Mountaineering Regulation 1979.
13. Protection of Environments: - Base camp and other camps will be left perfectly clean at the conclusion of the climb. No foreign materials such as fix ropeas, pitions, etc. shall be left on the mountain. All rubbish and waste material must be burnt or otherwise disposed off.
14. Revision of the Regulation: - Any article of this regulation may be revised or amended by NMA with prior permission of HMG/Nepal.